The History of The American Club Of The Riviera
The American Club of the Riviera was founded in 1962 as a successor to the US Propeller Club, an American association formed in 1927 in Washington to support and promote the American Merchant Marine. The name “The American Club of the Riviera” was chosen because a majority of the members were Americans and their objectives and activities were similar to those of other American clubs located in Europe. About this same time, the Club transferred its headquarters from Marseille to the Martinez Hotel in Cannes. The Club’s headquarters were later transferred to Cannes where they now are today.
The American Club of the Riviera is part of the worldwide Association of American Clubs.
Over the years, our Club has been honored by the many important people and officials who have attended its Club meetings. H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco (who became an honorary member), H.S.H Prince Rainier, and their children have all attended the Club’s traditional Thanksgiving luncheon meeting at the Hotel de Paris in Monte-Carlo. Several American ambassadors have also attended Club functions.
Due to the efforts and enthusiasm of its officers and members, The American Club of the Riviera has become one of the most active associations on the Cote d’Azur to promote the historic Franco-American friendship.
The Club’s most recent past presidents have been:
* Mr. Jaber Jallad and Mr. Burton Gintell were granted the honorary title of President Emeritus at the Annual General Meeting held on January 20th, 2018 in recognition of their work in reviving the Club in 2008 and helping it grow in membership in the following 10 years.